Translate

duminică, 23 iunie 2013

AKIHIDE Album "Amber" Release Interview


BREAKERZ - From spring 2013 each of the members started a solo activity period to try new challenges. Many people must have been shocked of the news of the solo in this timing, when the band had just passed their 5th anniversary and were going on to their 6th year. From this BREAKERZ, their guitarist AKIHIDE will release his album "Amber" on 5th June. The theme for his first release of his solo activities, that are the first during his whole musical career, is "My life with music by so far". This we asked him about his release full of music, lyrics and artwork.


-- BREAKERZ just met their 5th anniversary since the debut, and were just about to get on going, and then you announced the solo activities. Why did you decide to start the solo with this timing?

AKIHIDE: When running forward as BREAKERZ, everyone was giving out ideas on the edge. When thinking of continuing the band 10, 20 years from now on, in order to succeed in that, we thought that we could be able to bring our own power into BREAKERZ more by trying new things, and as we met our 5th year, a milestone, we thought we could try going solo. We thought that all of us could be able to improve our personal parts even better.
-- Have you set a limit for the solo activities?

AKIHIDE: We haven't decided it properly yet. We have been running on as BREAKERZ all the time, so I think we will be able to come back when each of us has completed their works and when the works of each has became one.

-- During this, AKIHIDE's first solo work, album "Amber" will be released on 5th June. What is the theme for this release?

AKIHIDE: As for me, I haven't worked as an artist in any other way than in a band, so these solo activities are the first in my whole life. Being solo, you can't "break up" or "change name" like a band, it's a thing you keep carrying for the rest of your life, so I think the first release is really important. In this album, there aren't any songs I made for this album, instead I picked the songs I want to put to the album from among the songs I had made during as different kinds of points during my musical career, and songs that had been inside me all the time but hadn't had a change to be put on a CD. Also, all things that could be included are included. Making the album one that I had exposed all of myself to represents my faith towards the fans, and I believe it will become a change for the fans to enjoy the album. So, the theme for this album is "With all one's mind, heart and strength", or should I say "My life with music by so far". I put everything into it until today this moment.
-- The title "Amber" is "kohaku" in Japanese. Why did you make it English?

AKIHIDE: I thought I wanted to give it a title that starts with "A". My name also starts with an "A", it's the first album, so I thought it would be good if it'd start with "A". And then I found the word "Amber". Amber is sap that takes a long time to become a stone, right. So I thought it'd be great if the feelings I let flow, the thing I kept warming would become like "Amber". Also, "Amber" is said to be a stone that brings happiness, so I would be happy if the album could become a change for the listener to become happy, with these feelings I named the album "Amber". 

-- What kinds of moments you feel happy?

AKIHIDE: When I'm drinking alcohol (laugh) There are many things besides that too. In the work this time, I used postcards received from fans to the artwork, and the staff of the record company worked more than was necessary for their position and stayed after their work to help me. This is a work that was completed because lots of people helped me, so for me being able to make this album is happiness.

-- The postcards from fans are ones where they had written their "dreams" and "hopes". Inside the booklet of the album, the postcards have been made to a one big flower. Were you thinking of the shape from the very beginning?

AKIHIDE:The song, "Hello! Mr. Sadness", that I used the postcards for is a song with feelings of "You can connect to the future because you carry the sadness and the hopes with you, without throwing them away, without forgetting them", and this is why I wanted to collect the word "hope". I thought that if I collect them from fans, it would become an awesome thing, and a one-of-a-kind jacket. But I thought of this a week before creating the jacket, and I was only thinking that it would be great if we could make something like a flower. The actual postcards from the fans were full of beautiful words. "I want my family's illness to be cured" or "I want to become rich" or (laugh) Among them were things babies had written, and I thought that I must create a splendid thing with them.
From there we painted them with colors, cut with scissors, stopped with a stapler... We created it with pure ad lib, but slowly a miracle was born. It was a miracle created with the power of the postcards, and the atmosphere of creating it together with the staff, and it became like this. I hadn't even imagined it at the beginning.

-- I see. I thought you had had the idea ready inside of you.

AKIHIDE: Not at all. Actually, this flower's stalk is drawn by my staff. I gave it a meaning that the flower of the fans blooms by being supported by the staff.

-- Is there your words in it too?

AKIHIDE: In the middle of the flower. I took the center to myself with a meaning that I must create the seeds connecting to the future.
-- There are other works than just this in the booklet. I heard that all of these are things that actually exist. How long did it take to create them?

AKIHIDE: We started creating the ideas from the fall of 2012, and we created them at atelier in 4 days in March. I talked with the designer and prepared 4 days for the work, but it was really hard. There are things you only realize at the spot, and things I wanted to do changed, so this is a work that was completed thanks to many staff members coming. Actually the lyrics are glued on it too. I cut them with scissors, so if you look closely you can see white stripes here and there. I think you'll be able to feel the warmth by it. It's made really interesting.

-- Are you planning to continue creating artwork from now on too?

AKIHIDE:This was the first art project, so I would like to keep on making second, third projects in my way, connecting them with music.

-- Is there a change fans could actually get to see the actual work?

AKIHIDE: Right. I would like the fans to see the postcard too, so I'm thinking I would like to create a chance for that.

-- By the way, you mentioned that the songs in this album are songs you have made until now. What is the oldest song in the album?

AKIHIDE: "Hoshi no Oujisama" that is a bonus track on the normal edition. I think I made it 7-8 years ago. I used to be in a band where I was the vocalist, and "Hoshi no Oujisama" is a song I created as the first one back then. So, I think it's destiny that this time it's the last song.
-- Are the lyrics for the songs you made in the past the ones you wrote the time you made the songs?

AKIHIDE: There are lyrics that were made back then, but there are also ones that I wrote using this album as a chance. However, I fixed the parts in the old songs I thought were hard to understand, or I thought that I'm not feeling like that. Basically, everything is my feelings now.

-- There are lots of positive lyrics.

AKIHIDE: Basically all start with a sad theme. However, this time I wanted to make an album I'd want to listen to, and when I was thinking about what I'd like to be told, I wanted positive words, so no matter how sad themed song, I made them all so that you could see the light.

-- I see. This time there's a Music clip for "Hoshi no Kyousoukyoku", I felt that the Music clip was very different from the lyrics..

AKIHIDE: I love "Stillness and motion", "Light and darkness", "Happiness and unhappiness", "Beautiful things and dirty things". So this time I chose a song and a Music clip with comparison. "Hoshi no Kyousoukyoku" is a ballad-like song, right. First there was an idea that we should make the Music clip ballad-like too, however I wanted to keep the comparison in mind, so it became a video like that.
-- There are lot's of monotone, however during the phrase for "Ama no gawa", the background is shining.

AKIHIDE: Those are fireworks. We collected fireworks and hanged about 20 of them. Everyone, manager included, put fire on them. However, there weren't enough tools for lighting the fire, so there were people putting on fire with their own lighters, saying "Hot!" "It doesn't light!"... During a noisy moment like that, I had be serious and look cool (laugh) With an awesome idea like that, the video became really cool, and the atmosphere of the shootings was really fun too, like a festival. A positive power like that is also mixed into the video. You can't see it as a picture, but I believe a positive power like that gets felt by people.

-- Then, there is also a tour starting for this album. I think there were many songs to listen to closely, but how are you planning to show them at the lives?

AKIHIDE: The venue is a live house, so I'm planning to arrange them so that I'll be fighting with the sound. I think it'll be performed as "Amber" live extended version, and there are also musicians who have got used to it by making sessions, so I'm also planning to do sound battles.

-- Until now you have been having lives only as a band. Do you have any worries considering touring as solo?

AKIHIDE: It's my first time doing this, so I'm not sure how it will turn out, but I think there are things that I can do only because it's a solo, so I believe it will become a tour we create together with the guests, so I'm mostly looking forward to it.

-- By the way, are you planning on activities in foreign countries?

AKIHIDE: If there are people waiting for me, I'd like to do some.
-- Have you played overseas?

AKIHIDE: I haven't had a concert. We have released CD's though. Also we have went on a fan club trip...

-- Do you get recognized when going overseas?

AKIHIDE: Not at all (laugh) However, when we went to Taiwan by fan club trip, there were local fans waiting in front of the hotel. Thinking that it was in Taiwan, I was happy.

-- Last, we would like to ask you for a message for fans waiting in foreign countries.

AKIHIDE: I believe it was hard for people overseas to participate to the project this time. But I myself had a really good experience, so next time I would like to make an art project to which foreign fans can participate too. Also, I am a musician, so I believe I can get over the wall of words by pouring all my mind, heart and power to music, so I would like to make production and activities the way that I could communicate with people from all over the world. I would be happy if you could wait for that day to come.

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu