Translate

sâmbătă, 1 iunie 2013

Alice Nine Interview

After I heard the announcement that the lead song is "an epic work going beyond 10 minutes", I was looking very much forward to listening to it.

Saga: So, how is it?

It's a work that shows much of the eccentric style of Saga (laughs)

Saga: Is that so (laughs)

The work GEMINI that consists of 3 parts, and of course it's also part of the album title, but did you create it with that as the axle in mind?

Saga: No. I didn't intend to make it like that from the start, but as I make it, it's like before I realize it, it has become long. 

If that's the case, earlier what kind of album did you want to create?

Saga: Because it's been 2 years, for the time being, I want to come up with some songs. I've imagined how it'll be like, but rather than saying it's right in half......it's more clearly divided. The catchy parts were made even more catchy, the deep parts became something even deeper. 

Hiroto: For us, like the catchyness that we want to convey to people, the core that we thought deep into was not incomplete ne.

Shou: So for that, when I think about how the flow should be, I want to create a work that goes from the wide frontage of the band into a deeper world to connect with everyone. 

The first song " I ", while having a majestic feel to it, it is also melodious, the second song "RUMWOLF" has a Hiroto-style to it, intense but also a cute song. 
Shou: Actually " I " is a song created by Saga during his high school days, but that brings out Alice Nine's original form. For "RUMWOLF", it certainly is Hiroto-like, and is the only song in the album that i can freely play with the words, so I played around with the lyrics at some parts with Hiroto's image in mind. 

Hiroto: Is that so?

Shou: Yep. That's why, words like "Karasu" (the unit that Hiroto's involved in) and "the rusted steel tower" (steel tower's what he likes) were included in it. "RUMWOLF" is not related to Hiroto though.

Hiroto: So that's how it is (laughs)

In the middle of the disc, it's a nice flow from Tora-kun's very impressive guitar phrases in "Shinkirou" to "KING & QUEEN" where the vocals really remains on the ears. 

Saga: From the first half lasting to the middle, we made best use of what we've done up till now. Well, the band image that we have, we properly combined things from our own perspective. 

And then the single "Senkou" came, and then suddenly the flow changed to the jazzy "Furin". 

Saga: I like "Furin" ne. 

Even though it's jazzy, it's also folkie somewhere, bringing out a nostalgic feeling. 

Nao: Because from there on it's "GEMINI". It's an amazing flow ne (laughs)

The piece "GEMINI", was it originally another song?

Saga: That's right. For the ideas [of the three parts], it's better to say they're separate. But during the making of the song, I wanted to attach them together from the start. 

So, it was long from the start.

Saga: No, even if long, I wanted to summarize it to 6 minutes, but I couldn't conclude it nicely. Then, after it went past 8 minutes, conversely, it became uninteresting (laughs), so i have no choice but to continue working on it. 

Hiroto: Day by day, I was updated on how the song got longer (laughs)

Nao: For us, we can only watch over the distressed Saga-kun (laughs)

It's distress at its peak ne.

Saga: That's true. If it's just about wanting to making a long song, I think anyone can do it. I thought about how to make it sound such that it didn't seem long, I was troubled a lot on the balance between the quantity of singing and the guitar. At the end, when I was able to return to the initial chorus, i thought, finally I did it. 

How many days did that take?

Shou: The intro of "GEMINI-0-ethernal" included in the A-melody* was brought out when "Hana" was in the process. 

Saga: Yep. So that means, a total of 2 years (laughs)

2 years! That's almost like a way of life. 

Tora: Contrary speaking, I think I will object if we're wanting to do a progressing rock song going beyond 10 minutes from the start. But because it's something that reflects what we've accumulated in the song itself, i can accept it.

Saga: Even for myself, I don't think I can complete the song if it's two years ago. This time, Okano Hajime-san (producer) went along with us and pointed out clearly the good and bad parts so I have that feeling of security. Regarding the unnecessary parts, he also clearly said those are not needed and so I was also able to easily sum things up. 

I see. For "GEMINI" was the song title made first?

Shou: Nope. We know about our own 2 trends, and when we also thought about the word that describes us best, the word Gemini came into mind, and so we decided on the album title first. And from the foundation there, with the themes light and dark, life and death, comes the titles "4U" and "I" from YOU and I, then "KING AND QUEEN", "birth in the death", I wrote the lyrics with those opposing themes in mind. 

「GEMINI」 is the compilation ne.

Shou: That's true. Disappointed with reality, the people that sees everything as sepia, when they're associated with an image of definite death, conversely those are true feelings of them being alive. So about that, even though it's like a story of determination in coexisting with the (living) world, the exact opposites of life and death, yin and yang are really fundamentally together. As a result of those relations, there's light and dark, and the word "GEMINI" is an example of all that. 

It's probably quite a lot of work completing the 13 minutes song, and singing it is also a new experience ne.

Shou: That's true. For the song, I thought it's almost like theatre style. There's symbolized feelings in the settings, so I tried to express that. If I consider about the acting within the first scene of this huge theme, I was very much looking forward to singing it. And then linking with the last song "birth in the death", it begins again. For me, I think it's an album that has meaning. 

*Bonus*
If [AliceNine] wish upon a star--------[since Gemini is a constellation lol]

Hiroto: I want to wish for the happiness of the fans that like us.
Saga: I want to wish something for myself, I want to take a break sometime and go on a overseas vacation.
Shou: Then, I wish for their 2 wishes to come true and wish for a fan club overseas trip, won't that be good?
Nao: Ah, that's great ne! Then I shall take this opportunitiy and wish for "I want to be slimmer".
Tora: Also, wish there'll be world peace too.







Small note* 
Many of you might know already, but since I didn't really understand what A-melody, B-melody etc means, i thought maybe there's 1 or 2 people out there who might not know as well ^ ^;; so A/B melody is the melody that comes before the chorus. If there are 2 distinct melodies other than the chorus, then that will be separately called the A and B melodies. Sometimes, there's also a C-melody.

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu