Translate

sâmbătă, 1 iunie 2013

Arena Special Vol 75 - Nao

After the recording of Senkou, was there a next theme that you're heading towards?

Nao: Quite some time ago, we had a talk of especially wanting to get a producer, and at this timing, we had it fulfilled. Just that, until now, we never had the chance to fully work with a producer, so there's the uneasy feeling on how it is going to be like working with one, but still I looked forward to it. Pretty earlier on, we've already heard that a time will come where there's a limit to self-producing, and I think Alice Nine might be at that stage right now. It's not about the mannerism of the song, but more like the mannerism of the end of the song. Now, it feels like a door won't open for us, but this time with a producer with us, I think we managed to complete a work that is one rank above what we alone can do.

Nao-kun is always the kind that after the completion of one work, you'll seriously think about the next theme. How about this time?

Nao: I did for this time too~! I'm the type who will immediately put what I've learnt into practice, but as expected the things learnt...[I'm missing one line here because the page is kinda blurry on the side...sumimasen >^<]...that is quite some trouble. This time, it has been really different, we thought about how to demolish what's our usual selves. 

Compared to what you always do, there's less handling?


Nao: That's right. If we do anything unnecessary, it'll just become a hindrance, so this time we kept in mind that we want to keep things simple. I often maintain the feel if the handling is increased, but this time instead of doing that, for the intervals in between notes, though it's really hard for the long ones, I've learnt to make it beautifully good to hum to. Because there's also that meaning, this time, we'll just doing things that we can and not trying to do anything unnecessary. For the play, we're doing our best to make it simple, so the feeling is close to what's it's like in the past student days, but the difficult part is playing it such that it is like a pro and not like a student. 

It feels like the ambience from quite some time back.

Nao: The melody is the way it is and the drums has to match it. The play is different from how I usually do it, but for the sake of making the work better than ever, it has became my encouragement. It's seriously hard, so it's nerve wrecking during lives...[here the line goes missing again...]...though (laughs). For once, I cleared my own concept of the drums, like put it on a chopping board. [as usual i can't get Nao's analogies...-_-;;] I completely don't dislike that, so if anything, it's like for the sake of becoming better in the next step, I'm earnestly in the middle of my training right now. Actually, during the making of the single, I thought "If I do anything unnecessary will people get mad at me?", but now I'm gradually in the process of evolving, such that I'm working to add my personal style into it. 

In actuality, were there any hardships for the pre-production, recording etc?

Nao: Objectively, I don't think there's any considerable hardships, but for myself, I was in a lot of pressure. I was always quite strained.

Why is that so?

Nao: In that kind of recording site, your skill can be clearly seen. When I'm told "If you see it this way, if you see it that way", i can't immediately cope with it, and couldn't play the drums

The things expected for pre-production and recording in the studio are different?

Nao: That's right. Considerably, when the shape of the song has been formed, various of ideas will come out. At that time, it'll be good if the drums can able cope with it immediately, but there's quite a bit of the insecurity of "This is bad~, if i changed the whole thing, what should i do."

Nao-kun always decides on a rough sketch from the pre-production, goes to the studio, and do personal practice to deal with the recording right?

Nao: This time's the same too. I properly constructed the phrases that I had talked about with Okano-san before the recording, seriously instill them into my body to play it, but at the actual scene, there were quite a lot of changes. When that happens, there are times where my body can't immediately cope with them, and that's quite a pity......or rather, a regret. It's not like something complicated is expected, but the ability to be able to deal with fast changes is something that i want to able to accomplish. If I consider my drumming life in the long-term view, I want the 60 years old Nao to tell the current Nao "Do your best" (laughs)

If there is an expectation, is it with regards to the feeling as a whole?

Nao: [like previous, a line is missing here]...not really as a whole, but there's more attention on the fine phrasing. Because I also intend to know my own skills, I practised while taking note of the time and managed to learn various things, but where I was picked on the core, I learn from the parts where i think "maybe this part is not enough". 

The things you were told to pay attention to, were they also what you agree with?

Nao: Yes, I understand it. Because now I know the sound of the play I aim for, when i listened to the sounds of my recording, the things that i lack sinks in deeply. As expected, they're completely different.

When you felt that, what do you do?

Nao: I understand that if i practise, the areas that i fall short of will get better. Just that, there's quite a few challenges; for instance, the basic hand-leg isolation exercises, if I don't pile up on the simple training for it, I can't clear it. But continuing on with those simple standard phrase practises, gradually I can get better in various areas. Actually, I watch tutorial DVDs and often learn whatever standard practices from there and managed to expand my skills. I think it's the same for every job, but in the end, the foundation is important.

Do you have tutorial DVDs or something?

Nao: I really have a lot. I'm a super tutorial dvd mania. I have heaps of tutorial dvds around my laptop. Just concentrating on one or doing all is impossible, so I pick up those that seems like it's possible for me to do. They come with the scores attached, and no matter how many times I watch the screen for it, I think "I see. So that's how it is" and feels great for understanding it. 

Perhaps, it is already your hobby? (laughs)

Nao: No! That's purely the study of drums. Unexpectedly I can move my upper body quite a lot, but my lower half is kind of like a child. I still need to work hard on my feet techniques. It's not just about [drum] rolling, I'm currently learning the two-bass playing techniques, having fun with it like it's a puzzle, like solving a riddle (laughs)

So, it is the feeling of a game??

Nao: No, it's persistent learning (laughs) 

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu