Translate

sâmbătă, 1 iunie 2013

Arena Special Vol 75 - Tora

After the making of 「Senkou」, did you immediately start thinking about the next single?

Tora: No, 「Senkou」 was done for the tie-up with Pachinko, so it was done quite earlier on prior to the release date. So there's quite some time between that and 「Stargazer:」Originally, for 「Stargazer」, we talked about having a producer to join us, so it probably starts from there. From the meeting for choosing songs, the producer-san has joined in, which was a first, so it was quite nerve-wrecking.

At first, what song did you want to create?

Tora: Because 「Senkou」 was quite an up-tempo song, so we talked that having the next song as a medium ballad like song which might be good, but Okano-san said no. He said that since it's a single, it should be more brilliant with a sprinting feeling, so everyone redid [the songs]. So 「Shinkirou」 was a song made from that. At first, it's said to be a song that's easy to get into, but the way people perceive what such a song is, is different, so I asked "What type of song is easy to get into". So after hearing the explanation, I get a feel of the tempo, and start composing from there.

Certainly, even for songs that's supposedly easy to get you in the mood, it's different for different people ne.

Tora: It's also not necessary to be a fast song [for those kind of songs that's catchy]. In actual fact, Shinkirou's tempo isn't really fast. I had the awareness of a bright song, so the chords used also feels brilliant and so that's how it's composed.

With regards to the way of adding chords in Shinkirou's melody, is it slightly different from what you usually do until now?

Tora: Because I usually don't add the melody to my songs, but this time i added the melody for it, so I think that's why there's that feeling.

Eh, so is that the first time?

Tora: I did it during CROSS GAME too though, so it's not completely the first time, but it might be the first time that i carefully think about the details of the melody.

For this time, thinking about the melody for the first time, is there a reason for that?

Tora: Originally, for the melody i thought it's okay to just make it in a way that is easy for Shou-kun to sing it. If I attached my own melody, making everything by myself, it's like it becomes my own song and i didn't like that. Recently though, I've become more flexible in my thinking for that; conversely, I'll compose a melody and let Shou-kun sing it, if it's fine, then it's okay, if it's not good, then I'll just change it. Anyway, there's not much time and it won't do if the vocalist don't have time to write the lyrics. If there's not much time to think until the melody [if composing the melody and basic structure separately], then my style is to think of the song as a whole, where i can do various things and i think i can still have some extra time. Actually, this time the schedule too was pretty tight, the lyrics were also not able to be done in time, i think it's better to think in a more flexible way.

The changed melody as well, is that Tora-shi's sense?

Tora: That's right. With regards to the melody, it's really what i think up myself, even if about only 1 sound is changed.

Tora-shi's song composition, is either very pop or very heavy, these two extremeties ne?

Tora: I wonder why's that? For the guitar itself, I like heavy sounds, but as a guitarist, I don't really want to do heavy songs, and i think if we bring out the sound source of the band, it'll become a little different again. Especially for a single, I think I will want to compose a song that is easy to listen to. If the guitar form is good, it can become pretty self-centered, because for that type of song, there's completely no thoughts put in for the vocals. On the other hand, if I don't think about song composing and compose a song, I think i can do a pop-like song.

Unexpectedly, there's a pop side to you?

Tora: I guess that's right. Comparatively, I have a pop kind of conscious inside me, and from there i create a song. For me, I'm not the type to listen to songs normally. I'm completely different from Saga-kun who's the type to listen to a lot of songs and compose songs; for me, I'm the type to naturally form only a sound which becomes a bud, and I create a song from there. That's why, for the things i have no interest in, I really have no knowledge on it, but those things that i have no interest in, Saga-kun becomes quite knowledgable about it, and so receiving help on that, I thought, isn't that quite a form of balance. If we're just talking about the guitar, I like the distorted, hard metal sound, and in the past i thought that i don't want to play about anything else other than that. But my way of thinking about songs have really changed, like it's fine even if it's not like that, I think that the results of being in this band for 6 years.

Was there no NG with regards to Shinkirou?

Tora: Actually, the key was pretty high and the melody was difficult, and i thought "Will Shou-kun be able to sing that?", so i actually redid it once. And for that, I got a NG. For me, I really can't sing, so i really don't know what kind of melody is singable. And because i have that insecurity, and when i recreated a more secure one, I was told "the previous one was good".

The melody the Tora-shi was inseucre about, Shou-kun sang it right?

Tora: That's right. The lyrics were also matched up well, there's also nothing to worry about the song. The last troublesome thing about deciding on the melody is the lyrics ne. The ratio in the music intervals and the score are already decided, so i think attaching lyrics that match up to it is pretty difficult. But even if i changed the melody, and there's no problem with Shou-kun having a easier time singing it, Okano-san is the kind of person who will still say, "If it's okay with you, this one is fine", on that point, i can get along with it. Like, he's one who don't get caught on one thing, where even if he made a decision at one point, if there's something that feels better he'll make a flexible change for it, he's similar to in that point, and so easy to work with.

There weren't times where he strictly say no?

Tora: For that, there really isn't. For the song that i redid, he just said that the previous version was better, he didn't say anything about other things. I don't know about other members, but for me, he just said "You really have a lot of free time for recording", so it was pretty smooth.

You had free time?

Tora: Every time. If I record, he really don't say anything. I wondered if he dislike it such that he don't say a sentence.

Isn't it better if he don't say anything.

Tora: It's not really that I want him to say something, but I guess not saying anything about it, doesn't it feel kind of lonely (laughs)

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu